Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Like Auntie, Like Niece

I was talking on the phone today with my mama and I told her something that Emma did. She said, "That sounds just like her Aunt Athena." It got me thinking about how my daughters do share funny little quirks that their relatives have. So I decided do to a blog on how Emma and Tabitha are like their Aunties. By aunties I mean my sisters and Anthony's sister.  (Sorry all other family!) Okay so I'll start with Tabs! 

Tabitha is a hard one because she is just Tabitha with her very own personality. In fact I often wonder where she came from! But I managed to come up with a few things. 
Auntie Athena and Tabitha are pretty much not at all alike. But I think they both would give you the shirt off their own back if you needed it. Tabitha, as ornery as she is, cares about others a lot and is very giving. And Athena, as ornery as she is, is the same. :)
  I think out of all the Aunties Tabitha is most like her Auntie Marie. Auntie Marie is one tough girl and I am proud to say Tabitha is too. They both know what they want and work hard to get it. One other trait they share- if they are upset you know all about it! :)
Auntie Spring and Tabitha are both observers. Instead of wanting to be the center of attention, they notice things that others may not, by standing back and watching. You can tell even though they aren't saying anything they are soaking it all in. 

It's Emma turn: 

Auntie "Mia" and Emma are so much alike in a lot of little ways, but the biggest way I think they are alike is that they both share a love of learning. Emma would sit and do school work all day if I let her. She would read all day too. (she sure doesn't get that from me!) She has taught herself to read in the last couple of months and now we find her staying up after lights out with a flashlight still reading! (Sound familiar Athena?) 
Besides sharing the no hip/butt problem, Auntie Marie and Emma both like to shop and have new clothes! I seem to recall Marie coming home from college and "accidentally" forgetting her dress for church, resulting in a brand new outfit. The way Emma loves dresses I would not put this trick past her! :)
Which brings me to Auntie Spring. Emma shares her unique dress style. You never know what they are going to walk out of the bedroom wearing! I remember Spring wearing stretch pants under her skirts. I thought this was weird then, but the truth is she was just ahead of the game because now leggings under skirts are totally in and Emma loves them! Just the other day she came out wearing pink polka dotted leggings under a short jean skirt and a pink top. (They also both love pink!) The irritating thing with both of them is no matter how strange you think their outfit looks, they both pull it off looking incredibly cute! 
Thank you Aunties for sharing your traits (even though you didn't even know you did!) with my girls! I love them more because of it!
Do your kids share fun traits with your relatives? (If you are an Auntie I guess now is the time to get me back!)



7 comments:

  1. Thanks...I think...:) Well, being ornery will get you through this life, in my opinion. So Tabitha will make it in this world just fine! And ever since Emma read to me at Christmas, I've been putting books aside for her to read when she's a little older. I'm gonna make sure she has a well-stocked library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma will love the books! She stayed up until 11:00pm two nights ago reading her Dick and Jane book. She read the entire book that night! So last night we took her flashlight away so she wouldn't stay up late again. Needless to say she fell asleep crying. I am such a mean mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Gasp* Poor Emma! Mom used to come into the bedroom at night and turn the light out when I was in the middle of a sentance. (I don't remember ever having a flashlight) It made me really mad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll teach Emma all the tricks for getting new clothes... and money from Grandpa :) I already taught Terina and I must say... she didn't come home empty handed :) And for your information.. I do have hips..actually jelly rolls so never mind.
    As much as I love Tabitha.. I don't want her to be like me! I was such a mean person and Tabs is to sweet to be so much like me. (But deep down inside I like it.) If I ever got in a fight and she was with me I know she'll have my back :)
    I love my girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phebe, I have been coming over here the last few days to check on your bloggin.' This is the first time I thought for a second you posted a picture of my Maegan. I knew of the resemeblence between her and Tabitha, but WOW. Amazing how that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Definently something in the Porter/Meisenheimer blood with the staying up reading. I also had a flashlight and would be "caught reading." My mom of course was thankful is was reading rather than something very naughty, but still, we need our beauty sleep, right? Tell Poor Emma I know how she feels! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just so cute.I love how you found things that are good and not bad. (I found your page for Athena. hope you dont mind) Love ya Marie Losee

    ReplyDelete